ASSIGNMENT 3 10% - the mark is for the presentation, you do not have to hand in a report
Capital and performance
Performance Appraisal Effectiveness
In Assignment 3 your task is to "analyze
the Performance Appraisal Effectiveness" of a medium or large sized enterprise
Enterprise can mean a company, government agency, non-profit association etc.
It is suggested "medium or large size" because small companies might not have enough to talk about to allow you to have done enough to earn full marks for the assignment.
1. Look at how an enterprise quantifies and qualifies its human capital assets
basically discussing your company in terms of "What it has"
(ie. how does it list and describe its people)
2. What it measures - what specific techniques and measures does it apply to appraising the performance of its staff
- do you think the performance appraisal measures are effective?
- (and, keep in mind the measure of effectiveness can always be considered something that helps the enterprise achieve their Objectives)
- ie. how good are they at using performance appraisal interviews?
- would you suggest improvements
3. PERKS - if you accept the understanding that HR is the most important assest, it naturally follows that companies that have been investing in good people, will do something to make sure those people are happy, which then.. hopefully..means they will be productive and stay with the company a long time to contribute value and profitability. So, the question is, given the current economic situation in which companies are cutting expenses, what are some of the things they manage to do to provide perks for the employees they value?
Think of what WTGR said in Class about how American companies like Walmart and Home Depot do little things to motivate their employees, and hopefull increase productivityGoogle is famous for providing amazing perks to employees, you won't find that realistically, elsewhere, so just look for benefits and services that the company might give to help their people. Think of everything from pension contributions to childcare, to 50/50 for professional development courses etc.
In particular, think of non-financial perks.
|What you do||In order to
do this assignment you may select an enterprise that is/was a(n) employer
of one of the members of the group (which would be good because then you
have first-hand experience), or an enterprise of any company
- you will summarize you findings, and then present the results to the class
Nov 18, 25 (2016)
|Caution||The reason it is suggested that you select a company in which a group member is an employee, is because such information may not be easily obtained from a firm by "strangers" since such information could be considered confidential or restricted for competitive reasons - keeping in mind that many companies consider their employees to be their number one resource, information about employees is sensitive.|
|Challenge||The hardest part of this
assignment is finding a good company for which you can find the info you
need to do a good presentation. Some time and effort should be expended
on this - you might even want to narrate a bit about this briefly in the
intro to your presentation.
use this resource presentation
look at this page which discusses sources of info
|The Assignment is worth
It will be marked out of 30
10 marks for content
10 marks for the presentation - the
way you present and use of various presentation techniques and media (PPT,
video, audio, handouts etc.)
8 marks for engaging the audience
It should be understood by students
that in a large class of 150+ students, marking such a "non test" situation
is challenging... every consideration will be given to factors to allow
for fair and equal evaluation, at the same time keeping in compliance with